THIS TERM'S CORNERSTONE VALUE IS: "Being the Best We Can Be"
- There is important information about the Athletics Day on the 10th of Feb at Kensington on our "notices" page: http://www.tauraroa.school.nz/our-school/being-informed/notices/
- Vertical Forms in 2016. Each house (or "Waka") has 3 vertical form classes made up of students from Year 9 to 13. Family members at TAS are in the same waka and from college age will be in the same form class. The vertical form class lists are available here.
- Stationery and BYOD shopping? Please check out our page: http://www.tauraroa.school.nz/our-school/being-informed/stationery/
- The School office is now open 9am - 3pm for enquiries.
- The first day of school for 2016 is Tuesday, February 2nd for all EXCEPT Year 9 and 10. There will be a powhiri for new students at 9am. Returning students should find their form class before coming to the powhiri. New students and supporters should gather in the library.
- Wednesday February 3rd is a full school day for ALL students. This day also starts with a powhiri for new students in Year 9 and 10.
- To arrange an enrolment interview at TAS simply ring the office on (09) 432-2643 or send us an email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Tauraroa Area School is situated in a rural area about 25km from Whangarei, on a sealed road. The school is about four kilometres from the village of Maungakaramea, which has a garage with a shop and postal facilities, a sports complex and a hall. Most of the 480 students travel to school by bus. School starts (for students) at 8.40 am and finishes at 3.10 pm
The school is divided into Primary, Intermediate and Secondary, with some common core activities like assemblies and sports days to promote a strong family nature. All students are allocated to a Form Class and a robust Pastoral care system is in place. About 25% of students are Maori, with the remainder Pakeha. The school has 25 classrooms, a general purpose hall/gym, a community library and a heated pool. There is good community involvement in school activities.
The school is staffed with approximately 33 full-time teachers. There are Teacher Aides and ESOL Teachers, an Executive Officer, a Student Services Officer, Learning Support Unit, Librarian and a full time Caretaker.
STAR, GATEWAY, Correspondence School and other external courses supplement teacher-based education at years 11 to 13.
Important Dates to Remember
Feb 1 - Auckland Anniversary Holiday
Feb 2 -Term One begins for all students EXCEPT Year 9 and 10. Powhiri to welcome new students will start at 9am.
Feb 3 - Full School
Feb 5 - Top House (Per4/5)
Feb 8 - Waitangi Day Public Holiday
Feb 10 - Athletics Day at Kensington
Feb 11 - PTA Meeting (7:30pm)
Feb 12 - Swimming Sports
Feb 15 - Primary School Teacher Only Day
Feb 17 - Meet the Teacher (5:30) and Hangi (6:30)
Feb 22-26 - Year 13 Camp
Feb 23-26 - Year 11 Camp
Feb 29-Mar 2 - Year 12 Camp
Mar 7 - 11 - Year 7 Camp
Mar 8 - 10 - Year 3/4 Camp
Mar 10 - 11 - Year 1/2 Camp
Mar 25-29 - Easter Holidays
Apr 15 - Last Day Term One