THIS TERM'S CORNERSTONE VALUE IS: Whakaute / Respect: To treat with courtesy; to hold in high regard, to honour, to care about yourself, others and our environment
Subjects and Activities
We offer a flexible programme of study. Our small class sizes means our teachers are able to give individual attention and instruction. We are happy to design a programme of study around your interests.
Senior students (Y11-13) are welcome to participate in our NZ external examinations during November & December (NCEA) but for those that do not, we offer an alternative FUN programme, designed with your help! We will take you on trips & cruises, walks and swims and visit famous NZ tourist destinations! Most of the costs of this programme are included in your tuition fees but some additional costs may be required, depending on programme activities.
This programme is designed to give international students further opportunities to discover and experience what New Zealand has to offer! Students can choose from any of the following 4 options or design their own programme from the listed activities. These will be run once a week, during school time, over the course of 1 school term (approximately 10 weeks).
Rural Cost $600
- Farm Visits - learn to milk a cow, feed a calf or lamb, shear a sheep and watch farm dogs at work
- Quad bike riding - learn to safely ride a 4 wheel motor bike
- Fishing trip
- Clay target shooting - learn to shoot at our local gun club!
The Land and Its People Cost $900
- Cultural experience - overnight stay on a Marae (maori meeting house)
- Trip to Waitangi (birth place of NZ) and Russell in the Bay of Islands
- Matakohe Museum - learn about Northland's gum digger past
- Bay of Island Cruise - see dolphins at play and visit the famous 'hole in the rock'
- Trip to Rotorua (3 days) - tourist capital of New Zealand!
Equestrian Cost $1000
- Horse riding lessons (minimum 8). Beginners to more advanced. Learn show jumping, dressage and general horse care. Includes use of horse and tack. Students need to provide their own riding clothes, boots and helmets.
Outdoor Education Cost $1000
- Learn to dive - experience NZ's undersea world!
- Snow Planet - learn to ski or snowboard or Explore under ground Caves
- High Ropes Course
- Tramping in New Zealand Native Forest
Please note: Some programmes are dependent on numbers. Outdoor Education available Terms 1 & 4 only. Some activitives are weather dependent. If they are not available another activity will be offered.
ACADEMIC PLUS VOLUNTEER™ A high school experience abroad with a difference!
Tauraroa Area School are proud to be offering Academic Plus Volunteer™
As an Academic Plus Volunteer™ student you will get to experience high school in New Zealand while making a difference, volunteering on local sporting, environmental or social projects. Plus you will have the option to volunteer in South America on your way home!
You will do up to 5 hours volunteering per week on your chosen project/s. At Tauraroa Area School we are currently offering the following projects:
Social - Assisting teachers with the Junior Students, volunteering with local charties, Riding for the Disabled, or SPCA. Music tuition and assisting with junior music programme.
Environmental - Water restoration projects, pest control, native plant regeneration, beach clean up, Wild life protection
Sports - Coaching opportunities available in numerous sports including, football, hockey, basketball, volleyball, tennis, badminton and athletics.
We welcome applications for any length of programme. For more information and pricing visit www.aplusv.co.nz